Important Documents for a Disability Insurance Claim
If you are a physician, dentist, or other professional considering filing a disability insurance claim, there are some key documents you should collect and keep in order to properly understand and document your claim, including:
1. Your disability insurance policy;
2. The insurance application;
3. Notes or letters from meetings with the insurer’s sales agents;
4. Notes of telephone conversations with your insurance company employees;
5. Letters to and from your insurance company;
6. Emails to and from your insurance company;
7. Medical records;
8. Billing records from your practice; and
9. A daily pain journal, if necessary.
Make sure to keep all of your disability insurance papers and notes in an organized file, and if you have to file a claim, contact an experienced attorney who can review this information, help you interpret your policy, present your claim, and communicate with your insurer.