If you’re a physician who has just been diagnosed with a potentially disabling condition, there are probably a lot of things running through your mind—how much longer can I practice? What if I hurt a patient due to my disability? What will the Board do? Will my malpractice insurance cover me if they discover what happened? How am I going to pay my bills if I can’t work? Am I ever going to be able to go back to work or is my disability policy going to be my only source of income?
Or maybe you’ve already filed your claim, and are concerned about a delay in payment or whether insurance companies’ surveillance or other aggressive investigation tactics are permitted under your policy. Maybe your insurance company initially approved your claim, but is refusing to acknowledge the permanent nature of your condition and is pushing you to return to work when you don’t feel that it safe to do so. Or you have a friend who just offered you a new job opportunity that you’d like to take, to keep yourself busy, but you’re not sure if your policy allows you to work. Or maybe your claim was just denied, and you’re wondering where do I go from here?
Ultimately, the answers to these questions largely depend on several factors, including your practice area, the nature of your condition, your insurer, when your policies were issued, and what the key definitions in your policy say, among other things. Regardless of where you are in the disability claims process, our firm is here to help. We’ve compiled the resources below for physicians who are interested in learning more about the disability claims process. Our attorneys are also happy to answer your questions, so feel free to contact us directly with your questions, or submit your question using the link below.
- What Should I Expect When Filing A Disability Claim?
- A Question of Ethics: When is it Time to File a Disability Insurance Claim?
- What If You Could Not Be a Doctor?
- Disability Insurance and the Physician: Can You Collect on Your Policy?
- The 10 Biggest Legal Mistakes Physicians Make When Filing a Claim for Disability
- 10 More Legal Mistakes Professionals Make When Filing a Claim for Disability
- The Importance of Advocacy in the Disability Claim Process
- Preseenteeism: A Chronic Condition Among Doctors
- Can You Collect Disability Benefits For Burnout?
- Misuse of Surveillance in Investigation of Physicians’ Disability Claims
- What Every Physician Needs to Know About ERISA
- The Realities of Addiction: Physicians Are Susceptible Too
- Why is It so Hard to Collect on My Disability Insurance Policy?
- Can a Disabled Physician Self-Treat and Still Collect Benefits?
- Do You Need Disability Insurance for More than Just Yourself?
- Disability Insurance Basics: How to Choose a Policy
- What Is the Difference Between an “Own Occupation” Policy and an “Any Occupation” Policy?
- Don’t Toss the Policy: Important Documents for a Disability Claim